In 1972, The Singapore Motor Workshop Association, (SMWA) was formed with the initial five main objectives, namely:
1) To promote friendly relationships among its members,
2) To study commercial situation and to promote business progression
3) To support local education, charities and welfare work
4) To mediate in settling differences, strengthen the unity among members and jointly plan for the members
5) To elevate the standard of technical skills thereby maintaining prestige of the profession
SMWA has also currently the only trade Association representing the car repair industry in Singapore and has earned recognition with close working relationships with many government agencies such as LTA, HDB, JTC, High Court, Spring Singapore and other Associations such as Automobile Association, Consumers Association, Singapore Chinese Chamber of commerce.SMWA is currently working very closely with Institute of Technical Education to match their students to our members on their internship and apprenticeship programmes for student from their NITEC in Automotive Technology course. SMWA hopes to do their part in helping to retain more ITE graduates in joining the automotive industry upon completion of their courses which will help to ease the labour crunch in the future. SMWA is also advocating skill developments to meet the high technology standards in current automotive arena.